COMPLETED ACTION: Secretary Zinke Proposes Baiting Bears with Doughnuts and Shooting Wolf Pups in Alaska
The comment period for this opportunity has closed. See our Take Action Page for more opportunities!
As of yesterday, the Trump Administration has created a proposal to rollback Obama-era regulations that protect wildlife in Alaska from cruel and inhumane hunting techniques. Stating that the goal is to align state and federal regulations, if repealed this would allow:
- Using junk food like bacon and donuts to bait bears and kill or poison them
- Shooting denning wolves and their pups
- Shooting swimming caribou from boats
- Utilize dogs to hunt bears
- Targeting animals from airplanes and snowmobiles
These techniques, condemned nation-wide by wildlife advocates, were originally outlawed in 2015. Now Department of Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke is trying to bring them back. Since taking office, Secretary Zinke and the Trump Administration have made it clear that reworking hunting and fishing guidelines would be a priority, but this new proposal from the Park Service goes too far.